Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ray and the Traveling Man

When I moved to nearby Royal Oak, Michigan, it was an exciting time for me. Royal Oak was like the New York City of Michigan, at least where I am from. The art fairs, art beats and eats, along with so many other things happen in little ol' Royal Oak. On this particular day, I had seen a man in a wheel chair and at first I felt uncomfortable near him because he was holding out a cup asking people for money. I don't know about you, but when someone comes to me so boldly asking for money, I tend to shy off. I did go around him and asked God if I should go back to the man and give him food instead and minister to him. When I went back to the man I asked him his name and he said that his name is Ray and he had been in the area for a few years panhandling, but he lives in Detroit with his sisters who bring him to Royal Oak everyday. My heart was touched speaking with him. He has no legs and looked so exhausted in his wheel chair. I smiled at him after speaking with him and went on my way.

The next time I was in the city, I had seen Ray again and also on the next block a young man with a guitar. He had a sign saying that he was hungry and trying to get back home to Tennessee. I again, prayed about it, walked over to the guy and asked him if he wanted something to eat, I was hungry too. I asked him to hold on a moment and I would be right back. I asked Ray if he wanted something to eat and he told me no, so I went to subway and got two sandwiches, two drinks, and two chips. When I went back to that spot, I walked passed Ray and say, "Ray I have two types of chips here would you like a bag?" "Sure" he said. I gave him a bag of chips along with a bottle of water, or was it a Pepsi. He put the bag next to him in his wheel chair and held his drink, then I asked if he wanted a sandwich and he replied "No".

When I walked away from Ray, I walked to the young man with his guitar and gave him the sandwich, with chips and drink. We began speaking about where he is from and how he got in the situation of looking for a way to get back home to Tennessee. I asked him if he was a Christian, if he believed in God and if he had a bible on him. He opened is backpack and pulled out his bible and we began doing just a little reading. I don't quite remember what we read as it had been so long ago, but he did have a smile on his face. While we were sitting on the ground eating, there were some people that were compassionate to give him coins into his guitar case and a few dollars, but most had looks that could cut you if looks could kill. No one asked what the situation was or how they could help, but kept walking on, with the exception of a few people that gave him coins and cash. Before I left this young man, we prayed and then I went over to Ray.

Ray was still on the corner with his cup looking for change. I asked him if he was OK and if I could help him with anything before I left. He asked if I could open up his bag of chips and feed them to him. I thought to myself, "Ummm, OKAAAYYY". When I had seen him try to feed the chips to himself, it was apparent why he didn't want the sandwich, because these chips were getting on his clothes moreso than in his mouth. So, being the person I am, I helped him. After helping Ray with his chips and drink, we prayed and I went home.

That day two lives were made just a little bit better. Since, I have moved out of state, but when I go back to Michigan, I will be going to Royal Oak, Michigan to check on Ray and keep you updated.


No comments:

Post a Comment