Tuesday, September 22, 2015

King Street Metro

We met at King Street Metro station, she was holding a sign saying that she was homeless and needed some money for food. At first, I walked passed her, but I heard a small voice tell me to go speak to her and give her the cash in my pocket. I walked pass her again back into the station and got the cash out of my pocket, folded it up, put it in my hand, and walked over to her to get to know her.

We introduced ourselves and asked her if she was from the area. She said she moved up here from Charlotte, NC from her mothers home and her dad kicked her out of the house here. I wanted to know why, what happened? But sometimes, we are not supposed to know, just help. I asked if she was in school and she told me that she was going to school for web development, but had to put it on hold because she isn't at a place where she could finish it right now. I asked her if she had interviews and she said she did, but she didn't have clothes for a decent interview. My husband was waiting for me because we were on our way to dinner, so we swapped numbers to keep in contact and prayed.

While my husband and I were waiting for a bus I noticed someone give her a box of donuts from Dunkin' Donuts, that made me smile to know that others are helping.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks later she was on my mind and I called her to see how she was doing. I didn't receive a phone call until several days later asking me to call her back, but I couldn't because I was out of town. So when I came back to town I gave her a call and she said her car had been towed when she was in the hospital.

My husband and I met her at a metro station and I handed her a care package. We took her out to IHOP for breakfast, then went to the tow yard to get her car. On the way there, a homeless man was walking across the street in front of us and I asked if she wanted to give her package to him. She said she was thinking the same thing. I put on my flashers, she got out of the car and handed her package to the man. When we went to the tow yard they were telling us that we couldn't get her car nor pay for the tow until the following day, Monday. She called the tow owner and tried explaining the situation with her. He became nasty with her and she handed her phone to me. I told this man, "First, don't raise your voice with me, I am just trying to help her get her car so she can get to her grandmothers. I don't have my car this week because my husband needs it for work, today is the ONLY day that I can help her. How would you feel if your home was taken away from you? You know God sees and knows and he will bless you whether you believe in him or not. Can you please help me help her? Please, can you help me help her?" He told me to hand the phone to his guys, she was now allowed to get items from her car, we were able to pay for the tow and she was able to get the car from the tow yard the following day.
 
She had some things to take care of and left her items with us while she took care of some things. We went home and I packed clothes to give her for the winter and interviews along with a new care package. I wanted to give her more clothes, but they wouldn't fit in the bag.

We met her at the King Street Metro station, to give her the items she left with us along with a care package and I prayed with her before we parted ways. The next day she sent me a message telling me that she got her car and was on her way to her grandmothers. When she got to her grandmothers she said thank you and was very appreciative and grateful for the things that were done for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment